Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, August 31, 2012

Unreal Candy Unjunked - my thoughts

About a month ago, my friend Melissa told me about a sweet website that mails you samples of new products to try. All you have to do is rate the product and give it an honest review. Since I like free stuff, and I love to write, I decided to give it a whirl.

I went to www.bzzagent.com, signed up, took a couple surveys and (kinda) eagerly waited for the email stating that I was chosen for a campaign. A week or so later, my wait was over (actually by this time I had basically forgotten about the whole thing). I received 1 free bag/bar of candy, and 5 buy one get ones. If you want to try it out, just go to http://getunreal.com/

Now I don't normally buy candy. Morgan loves loves loves fruits and vegetables so I figure, why ruin a good thing? No candy in the house means no 3 year old bouncing off the walls. If you know her, you have seen first hand her insane amount of energy. I'm really just not interested in experiencing this on a regular basis. But I do however, have a sweet tooth.

My sweet tooth, and Melissa told me that this candy could be bought at Walgreen's and CVS, among other stores that I don't have in my area. So after a long ponder (2 minutes), I put the kid in the car and drove to the nearest Walgreen's.

The candy was on a display on an end cap. All of the varieties are similar to better known candy - i.e. Hershey's, Reece's, m&m's, Twix, etc... The main difference being Unreal contains no artificial ingredients, hydrogenated oils, corn syrup, preservatives or GMO's. The price is even the same.

I grabbed my eleven bags of candy/bars and headed to the register, Morgan tagging along, so excited that she gets to try new candy that she is skipping and singing gibberish songs that always have the word "poopy" in them at the top of her lungs. The guy in line in front of us was a good-looking dude buying an ENORMOUS box of condoms. Morgan, being Morgan, says at the top of her lungs, "Mommy, what is that guy buying?". I'm giggling inside. The hottie in front of me is buying rubbers while I'm buying ELEVEN candy bars and my child will not shut up about either of them. I love her. And my response to her question? "I have no idea."

But I digress. They were out of the Twix-like ones, so I ended up with candies similar to regular and peanut m&m's, a Reece's peanut butter cup, and Snickers. The m&m-type ones were different shades of colors, with what Melissa says is a "satin finish". It's more natural and doesn't resemble smooth plastic.

The peanut m&m-like candy, called Unreal Candy Coated Chocolates with Peanuts was awesome! The chocolate was a little less sweet than what I was used to, but it still was very tasty. The peanuts are roasted and fresh, not stale tasting. I give them an A. Will definitely buy. Plus, Morgan likes them too, and sometimes I have to bribe her to listen to me. Don't act like you've never done it.

The regular m&m-like candy, Candy Coated Chocolates was good. The chocolate was not that sweet - it was OK for the peanut ones, since there is the peanut. When it's all chocolate, it kinda takes an acquired taste. I was fairly indifferent. If they were around or on sale, I'd eat/buy them. I give them a B.

The peanut butter cups, Unreal77 Peanut Butter Cups, were also quite tasty. The peanut butter was just right - a perfect blend of crunchy and smooth. The chocolate was the same as the other candies, and was a very nice compliment to the peanut butter. Morgan LOVED it. I give them an A.

The last one I got to try was kinda like a Snickers bar. It's called the Chocolate Caramel Peanut Nougat Bar. It is smaller than a Snickers, but other than that, it was pretty good. They have the same kind of peanuts as the Candy Coated Chocolate with Peanuts, and the nougat had a nice texture. I would recommend NOT putting them in the fridge or freezer - it makes the nougat hard to break and then when you take a bite it breaks and you get pieces of candy bar all over you. I know this. It wasn't the best candy bar I ever had, but it's far better than the worst. If they were on sale, I'd consider them. I give them a B+.

So that's that. I'd love to hear your comments if you have ever tried Unreal!

Have a safe Labor Day Weekend! My in-laws took Morgan until Monday. I'm free. It is a wonderful feeling (but I do miss my peanut) :)

Amanda


P.S. My shameless plug: Don't forget to visit my Avon site at www.youravon.com/aveldboom They have Halloween items and they are super cute! Plus great deals on Glimmersticks, nail polish and almost all Anew products. I got a sneak-peak at some of the Holiday items, and they are great for decorating your house, as gifts or to indulge yourself (can you say Red Chocolate Cake bubble bath?). There is something for everyone! If you've never ordered from me, you get a 10% discount if I get your catalog 18 or 19 order by Midnight on Thursday, September 6th. Please don't choose the direct delivery option or I can't give you your discount. I will take care of the shipping if you don't live by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment